Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy
Who can benefit from cardiopulmonary physical therapy?
Cardiovascular and pulmonary physical therapy is designed to help individuals improve their breathing and aerobic capacity by teaching them more effective breathing techniques and exercising them under fully-monitored conditions. By improving cardiopulmonary function, the body becomes more efficient at using oxygen, leading to less shortness of breath and improvement in overall quality of life.
Diagnoses we treat include:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Alpha-one anti-trypsin deficiency
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF)
- Pulmonary fibrosis (PF) and other interstitial lung diseases
- Non-tuberculosis mycobacterium (NTM)
- Scleroderma and other connective tissue disorders
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Heart failure and other cardiopulmonary conditions
What is cardiopulmonary physical therapy?
Each patient and diagnosis are different. Physical therapy treatments used to treat cardiopulmonary conditions vary and can include:
- Graded cardiovascular exercise with monitoring of cardiac and pulmonary function
- Graded resistance exercises as appropriate to improve muscle strength
- Breathing exercises to improve efficiency of breath
- Airway clearance techniques
- Soft tissue and joint mobilizations to improve efficiency of ribcage mobility
Patient education is an important element of your treatment and may include:
- Discussion of anatomy, physiology, diagnosis, and expected progress
- Discussion of functional limitations and compensatory strategies
- Discussion of balancing rest and exercise
- Discussion of use of supplemental oxygen when appropriate
- Referrals as needed to medical specialists
Who treats cardiopulmonary physical therapy at H&D Physical Therapy?
Assessment and treatment is performed by a licensed physical therapist with a team of experienced clinicians. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, schedule an appointment today.
Noah Greenspan, DPT, CCS, EMT-B
Marion Mackles, BS, PT, LMT
Wai Chin, BS, MS, EP
If you have questions regarding treatments available, or whether pulmonary physical therapy is appropriate for you, please contact us. We would be happy to discuss your situation in advance of an evaluation session