Who can benefit from Post-surgical Rehabilitation?
With even minor surgeries we develop scar tissue and compensations which may limit complete recovery. Working with a Physical Therapist to facilitate rehabilitation after any surgery will help you to get the best results from the procedure. You may also benefit from pre-hab, physical therapy before your surgery to give you a head start towards recovery.
Symptoms for which post-surgical rehabilitation can help include:
- Scar tissue / adhesions
- Nerve damage
- Loss of range of motion
- Loss of strength
Surgeries for which rehabilitation can help include:
- Total Knee Replacement (TKR, TKA), Total Hip Replacement (THR)
- Partial joint replacement
- Meniscus repair, Arthroscopic meniscus surgery
- ACL repair
- Shoulder, knee, hip arthroscopy
- Bone fractures, ORIF
- Breast and thoracic surgeries including heart and lung surgeries
- Back and neck procedures and surgeries
- Elbow, wrist, finger surgeries
- Carpal tunnel surgery
- Foot and ankle surgeries
- Abdominal surgeries, including gynecological and urological procedures
- Arthroscopic or Laparoscopic surgeries
- Other surgical interventions
What is post-surgical rehabilitation treatment?
Each patient and diagnosis are different. We will work with your surgeon to develop the right plan of care for you. Each patient and diagnosis are different. Physical therapy will vary and can include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Scar tissue mobilization
- Joint mobilization
- Myofascial release
- Visceral mobilization
- Neuromuscular reeducation
- Positional release techniques
- Proprioceptive training
- Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF)
- Instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM)
Patient education is an important element of your treatment and may include:
- Postural reeducation
- Nutritional education
- Specific strengthening exercises, functional lengthening exercises, and exercises for core and global muscle strengthening and coordination.
- Balance training
Who performs post-surgical rehabilitation at H&D Physical Therapy?
Assessment and treatment are performed by licensed Physical Therapists with experience working with patients with your surgical history. If you are planning a surgery or recovering from a recent surgery, schedule an appointment today.